How to Wash Shoes in the Washer
Can I wash shoes in the washer? You sure can!
With summer in full swing, who doesn’t want to get outside and be active. But, be aware that your shoes may get a little messy. Did you know that you can wash most shoes in the washing machine? Read on to find out how!
- Before tossing your shoes in the washer, use a damp cloth to wipe away as much loose debris as possible.
- If your footwear has shoelaces, remove them to be washed separately (in a mesh garment bag), otherwise they will tangle and can constrict other garments in the wash
- Shoe materials that should not go in a washing machine:
- PRO TIP: Place your shoes in a mesh garment bag or old pillowcase for extra protection
- Toss in two to three towels with your bagged shoes. The additional padding will protect your footwear from the spinning cycle
- Run your machine with liquid detergent on a cold, delicate cycle
- Skip the liquid fabric softener! Softeners leave a residue that will stick to dirt during your next wear.
- Always air-dry your footwear for 24 hours after the wash cycle. Heated dryers could damage the fabric or foundation of your shoes. Dry the shoes in a location that has plenty of air flow and is well lit.
Not a fan of the three-step process? Try our pickup & delivery service for clean shoes with none of the work!